I called it Atomic Firebeer the first time it was released. Last year for Valentine’s day it was called “Cinnamon Love” and now Red Hots Wheat speaks the plain truth. I keep thinking of the 1973 Golding Earring song “Radar Love” because when I was growing up I always thought the lyrics were “Red Hot Love!”
Released at 4PM on Valentines Day 2013. The beer is bright red, or deep pink with a “hit you in the face” aroma and flavors of candy cinnamon (think Dentyne Gum).
Red Hots are made by Ferrara Pan who also makes Lemon Heads and Boston Baked Beans Candy. More information about them:
- Red Hots brand candy were developed in the 1930’s
- “cinnamon imperials" is a generic name used by the candy industry to indicate a piece of cinnamon hard candy (“Cinnamon Imperials Wheat” has a nice ring to it, but beer lovers would be expecting a high proof instead)
- This candy is made at 245degF in a vacuum, which removes all the moisture and turns into the hard candy we know
- There is actually an inner candy and an outer candy shell (both made from sugar)
- Due to the coloring in the candy, the beer turns bright RED!
- The cinnamon flavor is strongly spicy but not necessarily hot like an atomic fireball. (does this mean we won’t have beer breath?)